Have you ever bought lipstick after seeing how good it looked on your friend, but when you applied it, you looked washed out? You spent all day in a lousy mood and declared that makeup is not your cup of tea. The reason why the same lip color looked fabulous on your friend but washed you out is the undertone of the lipstick. The lipstick shade you bought was not compatible with your skin tone. Take this as your ultimate guide to learning how to choose lipstick color for Indian skin and find the perfect shade.
Table of contents
- Different Lipstick shades for different skin tones
- How should you pick the right lipstick shade for your skin tone?
- Step 1- Determining the skin complexion
- Step 2- Learn more about undertones
- Step 3-Pick a shade according to your lip size
- Step 4-Select an everyday lip color
- Step 5-Shop for the right shade
- Wrapping up
Different Lipstick Shades for Different Skin Tones
Lipstick is a crucial part of the billion-dollar beauty industry as the majority of us love trying different lipstick shades. The first thing you need to understand on your way is to learn how to choose lipstick shade for Indian skin. In this guide, we have got all the answers.
Your skin complexion is your skin color. It basically determines how much melanin you have. The more melanin, the darker the skin color. There are fundamentally three skin colors/complexions that are seen in Indian women - Fair, medium/ olive, and dark/dusky. If you were to figure out how to choose lipstick shade for Indian skin, you have to pay attention to your skin color. We have made an extensive list of points to pick colors that complement your skin tone in our guide to how to choose lipstick color for Indian skin.
- For all skin tones - Deeper shades of red, burgundy, and plum can look stunning, especially for evening events or formal occasions.
- Light to fair skin tone - Opt for subtle shades such as berry plum, soft purple, and baby pink. Tan beauties should focus on rich pinks and purple, while dusky girls should look for lighter pinks and purples.
- Wheatish or medium skin tone - Nothing looks as good on a wheatish or medium complexion as a rich nude shade. If you have warm undertones, go for warm nudes such as coral or coffee.
- Darker skin tone - Opt for brown or mauve shades such as caramel nude. Deeper reds and purple also look ethereal on dark Indian beauties.
How should you pick the right lipstick shade for your skin tone?
Now that you have figured out your skin tone and undertone, it is time to move ahead in your quest of how to choose lipstick color for Indian skin. We have covered all the skin tones in this guide, so you won't have to spend hours on the internet browsing the shades that will match your skin. Let's dive into the step by step process.
Step 1- Determining the skin complexion
Look at the color of your skin in natural light to determine if you have a fair, medium, or dark complexion. It's important to remember that your skin complexion can change over time due to factors such as aging, sun exposure, and lifestyle choices. Be sure to re-assess your skin complexion periodically to ensure you're using lipsticks and other makeup products that are well-suited for your skin. This is a crucial step in evaluating how to choose lipstick color for Indian skin.
Step 2- Learn more about undertones
The next step in figuring out how to choose lipstick color for Indian skin is to learn about undertones. There are several ways to figure out your undertone like jewellery test, vein test and paper test. But, we’ll go with a paper test that can be performed at home easily by using a piece of blue and red paper:
Identify your undertone at home:
- Put both red and blue paper next to your face
- If you look good in blue, you have a cool undertone
- If look good red, you have a warm undertone
- If you look best with both red and blue, then you have a neutral undertone
Use this technique next time and put on your best face forward.
Step 3- Pick a shade according to your lip size
Yes, you read that right! If you are wondering how to choose lipstick color for Indians, your lip size also plays a crucial role. Girls with thin lips should opt for tinted lip balms and high-shine glosses to get the illusion of fuller lips. Darker colors make your lips look even smaller.
Similarly, our full-lip girlies can use matte lipsticks in deeper shades to enhance your lips. Lighter shades might wash you out, so choose according to your skin tone and lip size.
Step 4- Select an everyday lip color
Many Indian girls struggle with the choice of the perfect lipstick shade as the Lipstick segment is growing alarmingly with the launch of new lip shades. That is why it has become difficult to choose everyday lipstick. So, let us help you to find the right everyday shade. Look at your natural lip color and search for a lip shade that is two shades darker. The color will make your lips look more natural. For an everyday lip, choose a peach pink matte lipstick from our DE'LANCI 18 Colors La Catrina Lipstick Palette.
Step 5- Shop for the right shade
We have come to the last step in resolving your query-how to choose lipstick color for Indian skin. When shopping for lipsticks, always apply them to your lips before buying. You do not have to use the tester directly. Take the lipstick on the lip brush and then apply it to your lips.
Pro Tip - Try checking how the lipstick looks on your face in natural sunlight. That will give you a clear idea of whether the shade is meant for your skin tone.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to choose lipstick color for Indian skin. You can now figure out the right shade of lipstick for your next outing. Be sure to follow our Instagram and Youtube pages for more awesome content. Remember to get your hands on our best-selling Delanci 25-color matte lipstick palette and tell us in the comment what’s your go to lip shade from the palette.